Somali National News Agency
So
Ar
Search
  • Home
  • Local News
    Local NewsShow More
    OIC Condemns “Dangerous and Irresponsible” Remarks by US Ambassador to Israel
    February 21, 2026
    Herder Families in Hilmo Area Appeal for Urgent Humanitarian Assistance Amid Prolonged Drought
    February 21, 2026
    Prime Minister Declares Historic Overhaul of the Education Sector, Driven Exclusively by Domestic Revenue
    February 21, 2026
    The Systematic Dismantling of Al-Shabaab’s Financial Infrastructure
    February 21, 2026
    Somalia and Saudi Arabia Sign Strategic Maritime and Port Development Agreement
    February 20, 2026
  • World News
    World NewsShow More
    Turkish President Erdoğan Visits Ethiopia to Strengthen Africa Ties, Reaffirms Support for Somalia
    February 17, 2026
    55 Years of Win-Win: Nigeria and China’s Growing Partnership
    February 5, 2026
    Saudi Arabia Ranks Second Globally in Humanitarian Aid in 2025
    January 19, 2026
    High-speed trains collide after one derails in southern Spain, killing at least 21
    January 19, 2026
    Human heads found hanging on a beach in southwestern Ecuador
    January 12, 2026
  • Articles
    ArticlesShow More
    Premium Cargo: The Dignity Deficit and Exploitation on the Mogadishu-Nairobi Route
    February 20, 2026
    My China Story: Africa’s change makers in action
    February 16, 2026
    A bond that endures: Somalia and China mark a legacy of unbreakable friendship
    February 12, 2026
    55 Years of Win-Win: Nigeria and China’s Growing Partnership
    February 5, 2026
    A Year of Growth, Trust, and National Contribution
    January 28, 2026
  • Business
    BusinessShow More
    America’s Tariff Weaponization: An Economic Analysis of 500% Tariffs and the Inevitable Bipolar Bifurcation
    October 19, 2025
    Somalia Unveils the Blueprint for a Modern and Sustainable Mogadishu
    December 21, 2024
    Djibouti Launches $57.4 Million Youth Entrepreneurship Project to Combat Climate Change
    November 25, 2024
    FM meets Minister of Investment of Saudi Arabia
    October 28, 2024
    President Hassan Sheikh Inaugurates New LPG Storage Center in Mogadishu
    May 12, 2024
  • Sports
    SportsShow More
    Somalia Falls to Oman in Penalty Shootout After Strong Performance in Arab Cup Qualifier
    November 26, 2025
    Somalia’s U-17 National Team Concludes CECAFA Campaign with a Strong Victory
    November 24, 2025
    Somalia, Sudan, Djibouti, South Sudan set eyes on FIFA Arab Cup
    November 24, 2025
    Somali Ambassador to Kenya Congratulates Dekadaha FC on Historic CAF Confederation Cup Victory
    September 28, 2025
    Somalia’s Dekadaha FC faces Sudan’s Alzamala Sports Club in Nairobi
    September 20, 2025
  • Tenders
    TendersShow More
Reading: Taliban enter Afghan capital as US diplomats evacuate by chopper
Share
Font ResizerAa
Somali National News AgencySomali National News Agency
  • SOMALI
  • ARABIC
Search
  • Home
  • Local News
  • World News
  • Articles
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tenders
Follow US
©2023 || All rights reserved SONNA
Somali National News Agency > Blog > World News > Taliban enter Afghan capital as US diplomats evacuate by chopper
World News

Taliban enter Afghan capital as US diplomats evacuate by chopper

By Osman
Last updated: August 15, 2021
7 Min Read
Share

KABUL, Aug 15 (Reuters) – Taliban insurgents entered the Afghanistan capital Kabul on Sunday, an interior ministry official said, as the United States evacuated diplomats from its embassy by helicopter.

The senior official told Reuters the Taliban were coming in “from all sides” but gave no further details.

A tweet from the Afghan Presidential palace account said firing had been heard at a number of points around Kabul but that security forces, in coordination with international partners, had control of the city.

U.S. officials said the diplomats were being ferried to the airport from the embassy in the fortified Wazir Akbar Khan district. More American troops were being sent to help in the evacuations after the Taliban’s lightning advances brought the Islamist group to Kabul in a matter of days.

Just last week, a U.S. intelligence estimate said Kabul could hold out for at least three months.

“Core” U.S. team members were working from the Kabul airport, a U.S. official said, while a NATO official said several EU staff had moved to a safer, undisclosed location in the capital.

A Taliban official told Reuters the group did not want any casualties as it took charge but had not declared a ceasefire.

There was no immediate word on the situation from President Ashraf Ghani, who said on Saturday he was in urgent consultations with local leaders and international partners on the situation.

Earlier on Sunday, the insurgents captured the eastern city of Jalalabad without a fight, giving them control of one of the main highways into landlocked Afghanistan. They also took over the nearby Torkham border post with Pakistan, leaving Kabul airport the only way out of Afghanistan that is still in government hands.

The capture of Jalalabad followed the Taliban’s seizure of the northern city of Mazar-i-Sharif late on Saturday, also with little fighting.

“There are no clashes taking place right now in Jalalabad because the governor has surrendered to the Taliban,” a Jalalabad-based Afghan official told Reuters. “Allowing passage to the Taliban was the only way to save civilian lives.”

A video clip distributed by the Taliban showed people cheering and shout Allahu Akbar – God is greatest – as a convoy of pick-up trucks entered the city with fighters brandishing machine guns and the white Taliban flag.

After U.S.-led forces withdrew the bulk of the their remaining troops in the last month, the Taliban campaign accelerated as the Afghan military’s defences appeared to collapse.

A general view of the U.S. embassy in Kabul, Afghanistan, August 15, 2021. REUTERS/Stringer
President Joe Biden on Saturday authorised the deployment of 5,000 U.S. troops to help evacuate citizens and ensure an “orderly and safe” drawdown of military personnel. A U.S. defence official said that included 1,000 newly approved troops from the 82nd Airborne Division.

Taliban fighters entered Mazar-i-Sharif virtually unopposed as security forces escaped up the highway to Uzbekistan, about 80 km (50 miles) to the north, provincial officials said. Unverified video on social media showed Afghan army vehicles and men in uniforms crowding the iron bridge between the Afghan town of Hairatan and Uzbekistan.

Two influential militia leaders supporting the government – Atta Mohammad Noor and Abdul Rashid Dostum – also fled. Noor said on social media that the Taliban had been handed control of Balkh province, where Mazar-i-Sharif is located, due to a “conspiracy.” read more

POPULARLY ACCEPTED

In a statement late on Saturday, the Taliban said its rapid gains showed it was popularly accepted by the Afghan people and reassured both Afghans and foreigners that they would be safe.

The Islamic Emirate, as the Taliban calls itself, “will, as always, protect their life, property and honour, and create a peaceful and secure environment for its beloved nation,” it said, adding that diplomats and aid workers would also face no problems.

Afghans have fled the provinces to enter Kabul in recent days, fearing a return to hardline Islamist rule.

Early on Sunday, refugees from Taliban-controlled provinces were seen unloading belongings from taxis and families stood outside embassy gates, while the city’s downtown was packed with people stocking up on supplies.

Hundreds of people slept huddled in tents or in the open in the city, by roadsides or in car parks, a resident said on Saturday night. “You can see the fear in their faces,” he said.

Biden said his administration had told Taliban officials in talks in Qatar that any action that put U.S. personnel at risk “will be met with a swift and strong U.S. military response.”

He has faced rising domestic criticism as the Taliban have taken city after city far more quickly than predicted. The president has stuck to a plan, initiated by his Republican predecessor, Donald Trump, to end the U.S. military mission in Afghanistan by Aug. 31.

Biden said it is up to the Afghan military to hold its own territory. “An endless American presence in the middle of another country’s civil conflict was not acceptable to me,” Biden said on Saturday.

Qatar, which has been hosting so-far inconclusive peace talks between the Afghan government and the Taliban, said it had urged the insurgents to cease fire. Ghani has given no sign of responding to a Taliban demand that he resign as a condition for any ceasefire.

Reporting by Kabul and Washington bureaus, Writing by Raju Gopalakrishnan, Alasdair Pal, Cynthia Osterman; Editing by William Mallard
Share This Article
Facebook Whatsapp Whatsapp Email Copy Link Print

MORE NEWS

A Challenge to Somali Men and a Wake-Up Call for Women

ArticlesCulture
December 8, 2025

Herder Families in Hilmo Area Appeal for Urgent Humanitarian Assistance Amid Prolonged Drought

Galkayo, SONNA – Herder families residing in the Hilmo area of Galkayo district have issued…

February 21, 2026

Turkish Red Crescent distributes food parcels in Somalia

MOGADISHU (SONNA):Turkish Red Crescent conducted food distribution in Mogadishu's Kahda district on Saturday. Red Crescent…

April 25, 2021

US imposes fresh visa restrictions on Ugandan officials over poll

NAIROBI (SONNA):The United States says it is imposing visa restrictions on “those believed to be…

April 17, 2021

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE

More than 39,000 people killed in the twin earthquakes in southern Turkey

Ankara - At least 39,672 people were killed by two strong earthquakes that jolted southern Türkiye on Feb. 6, the…

World News
February 18, 2023

At least 1 killed and more than 57 others injured in a subway train collision

MEXICO CITY (SONNA) — Two subway trains collided between two stations Saturday in Mexico City, killing at least one person…

World News
January 8, 2023

North Korea missile tests: Photos from space released

North Korea has released photographs which it said were taken from its most powerful missile launch in five years. The…

World News
January 31, 2022

Fire at a fuel storage kills at least 17, injures dozens

JAKARTA, (SONNA) — A large fire broke out at a fuel storage depot in Indonesia’s capital Friday, killing at least…

World News
March 4, 2023

Somali National News Agency established in 1964. It is one of the main pillars of the Ministry of Information, Culture, and Tourism.

  • Home
  • Local News
  • World News
  • Articles
  • Business
  • Sports
  • Tenders
  • SNTV
  • RADIO MOGADISHU
  • DALKA JOURNAL
  • TOURISM DEPARTMENT

Follow US: 

  • MoICT
  • VILLA SOMALIA
  • OPM SOMALIA

All rights reserved SONNA

©2023

Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account

Username or Email Address
Password

Lost your password?