#Mogadishu, 13 May 201 – H.E. Abdirahman Omar Osman (Eng. Yarisow) briefed the media on the progress activities undertaken by the Federal Government of Somalia in past week.
HE Minister Yarisow noted the main achievements in this period, which included:
- In the London conference on 10 and 11 May 2017 the world has agreed to implement the plans which the Federal Government of Somalia has tabled before the meeting and a communiqué was issued to focus on the drought rescue, security, economic and political in particular the implementation of one person one vote election within 4years. The Somali Government and the international community have signed an agreement that aims to fulfill the commitments of from both sides in order to obtain accountability in every side.
- On 11 May 2017 – The cabinet of Ministers issued a decision to implement security and stability plans in the country by creating a joint forces that will secure the security of the country’s capital city. The cabinet of Ministers has endorsed the Benadir region Security Council, this speeds up the implementation of the security plan of the country’s capital city.
- The Ministry of Constitution carried out a series of public awareness campaign to the review of the constitution while having consultations with the different sections of the community so as to encourage people to take an important role in the constitutional review. So that public will understand well the points of the constitution well before the referendum. So far the sectors of the civil societies consulted included:
- The women on the 29th April 2017
- The civil society on the 04th of May 2017
- The people with the special needs on the 08th of May 2017
- The Youth on the 09th of May 2017
- The religious clerics on the 11th of May 2017
- The Ministry of Information has on the 6th to 8th of May 2017 held a National conference on Media Development – The Ministers of Information at the federal level and the state level have signed a Memorandum of Understanding and Protocols to work together to strengthen working relationships. They also agreed to implement the media strategy, to review the Media law, to implement the comprehensive national strategy to prevent and counter violent extremism (P/CVE), and to strengthen communication and cooperation while promoting freedom of speech and thoughts in accordance with Article 18 of the Provisional Constitution.
- The Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications has on the 6th to 8th of May implemented consultative conference to develop the Telecommunications- The conference was attended by the Ministers of Communications, in the federal and regional level and they discussed about cooperation and strengthening, the ties, and at the end of the conference a communiqué was released.
- The Ministry of Education has implemented a consultative conference to centralize the curriculum & exams and approved a National structure of the curriculum on 9 May 2017 – After three months Somalia will have a unified curriculum for basic education, which will be taught all primary schools, elementary, middle and secondary schools in the country. The structure of this curriculum was discussed in the national approval conference.
- In accordance of the decree of the President of the Federal Republic of Somalia H.E. Mohamed Abdullahi Mohamed (Farmaajo), the Somalia National Army on the 10th of May 2017, launched an operation to remove illegal road-check-points that links the towns of Afgoi, Barire, No 50 and some other locations that surround and arrested 11 soldiers.
- The National Army has on the 5th of May 2017 killed al-Shabaab leader and some of his comrades in Lower Shabelle region, the name of the killed leader is identified as teacher Osman Abdi Badil.
- On the 3rd of May the Federal Government of Somalia has welcomed the election in which the lawmakers of Galmudug State elected President Ahmed Duale Gelle aka [Xaaf] as the President of Galmudug State:
Ministry of Information, Culture & Tourism